Sign Language Resource Guide for the Office
The disabled are faced with a wide range of challenges to lead a full life. The disabled are faced with obstacles in hearing, vision and accessibility. The hearing impaired face challenges that are unique to them in that they are not able to communicate by speech.
One method that hearing impaired individuals can communicate with others is through the use of sign language, where people can sign words using hand movement. Generally each language has its own sign language to help disabled individuals communicate in that language.
Sign language is one way that the hearing impaired can communicate with each other and with the rest of the world. To help understand the origins of sign language, here are some valuable resources:
History of Sign Language
- American Sign Language History – information on the history of the American sign language.
- A History of Sign Language – historical information on the origins and developments in sign language.
- Brief History of ASL – timeline of the history of American sign language.
- Deaf History Timeline – informative website with information on the developments over time of sign language.
- ASL: Roots and History – helpful information on how American sign language originated.
- ASL Culture and History – resourceful site containing historical sites and resources.
Sign Language Dictionary
- ASL Dictionary – useful resource containing information on sign languages.
- ASL Browser – informative website with resources and a dictionary for sign language.
- ASL Dictionary – information on sign languages including a dictionary.
- Signing Science Dictionary – web site with science information and sign language data.
- American Sign Language Dictionary – tips and information on ASL.
- Dictionary and Inflection Guide – helpful resource with information on sign language.
Learn Sign Language
- Sign Language Studies – guide providing tips on how to learn signing.
- Sign Language Studies – journal with information on how to learn sign languages.
- Sign Language Research – resourceful site with information on learning sign language.
- ASL Studies – educational web site with an overview on studying sign language.
- Lesson Plans and Resources – useful information on teaching and studying sign language.
- Learning ASL – informative site proving guidance on how to learn sign language.
- Guide – a guide to fingerspelling and how it is used.
- ASL Fingerspelling – information on how fingerspelling works.
- Fingerspelling – helpful web site proving users with information on fingerspelling.
- Fingerspelling Practice – practical use of how fingerspelling works.
- Fingerspelling and Reading – useful information on use of fingerspelling.
- Computer Generated Fingerspelling – helpful information and resource on fingerspelling.
Sign Language Resources
- Sign Language Resources – helpful information and resource collection on sign language.
- ASL Resources – useful collection of ASL resources.
- Resources – collection of resources helpful to sight impaired.
- Interpreting Resources – informative site for sign language and interpreting.
- Interpreter Resources – helpful information and resources for interpreters.
- ASL Resources – collection of sign language resources.